Monday, February 14, 2011

Aphasia Recovery takes Time - Progress is Slow

My apologies.  I have not submitted an article since September 2010.  I had a baby in October and have been a full time mom for the last 4 months.  My time has been busy, but fun.  Now, I am back to work.

As I watch my baby develop, I am reminded of how slow progress is.  I don't notice change on a daily basis.  I realize that my baby is developing, but I cannot tell what progress is made from one day to the next.

Recovery from Aphasia is the same way.  Progress takes time. 

I think the older we get the more we forget how long it takes us as infants to develop into children and then into adults.  A stroke or brain injury robs a person of the vital, basic skills that took so long to develop.

We want the Aphasia to be gone and to be back to 'normal' quickly.  In most cases, that goal is next to impossible. 

If you or someone you know is recovering from Aphasia, please know that progress takes time and is a great deal easier with lots of love and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment